VMware Cloud Community
vmwarelicense12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate ESXi from on Distributes Switch to another

I need to migrate and connect on ESXi server from one dvs to another dvs (both in the same vCenter).

ESXi have 4 uplinks (LACP), and both dvs are in different clusters. .

I have created the new destination cluster and new dvs and portgroups.

Is it possible to migrate the ESXi from the old dvs to the new, incl. all uplinks?

If so how?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Be careful of possible misunderstanding ... Distributed vSwitch is not dependent on the cluster object.! Each ESXi host from any cluster can be added to a single DVS.

You can easily migrate your host from VDS to another one, first migrate the physical uplinks, then migrate the VMkernel ports and check the connectivity. At last, migrate the VMs network connectivity.

Just to avoid any network interruption, before migration all of the dvuplinks, you can move two of them and then the other ones.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
vmwarelicense12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention, that we are using NSX and VSAN, and all is flowing through the 4 LACP uplinks.

so in what order do i migrate the host from one dvs to another dvs?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

It's a very complex procedure because of NSX & VSAN existence can prevent you to do that. VMware always ecommends that plan and prepare your vSphere Distributed Switches before installing NSX for vSphere.

When you deployed NSX in your environment why you need to migrate a host networking from a DVS to another one?

However, it's not bad to review the following links before start your migration operation:

NSX and vSphere Distributed Switches

vSAN Stretched Cluster Using an NSX-T Backed L3 Network | VMware

https://nielshagoort.com/2016/04/19/stretched-cluster-with-nsx/

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos