VMware Communities
DetlefSchmidt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB smartcard reader does not connect

Author :

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/11/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-1B8DDC8A-7372-48A3-9E2...

Topic Name : Connect a USB Smart Card Reader

Publication Name : Using VMware Fusion

Product/Version : VMware Fusion/11

Question :

My USB smartcardreader is in VMware 11.5 under Catalina only shown as Shared Reiner Sct. If I connect that and run Windows 10 it is not recognized. Only a generic ccid driver is installed and reinstallation of the Reiner driver is not successful. In the past there were two USB entries, one "Reiner SCT" and "Shared Reiner Set". Under Mojave 10.14.6 and VMware 8.5.10 it worked perfectly. Connecting the smartcardreader lead to the question "Connect with Windows or MacIOS" or it connected automatically with Windows in the Virtual Machine. VMWare 8.5 is not running under Catalina. It shows a black screen Window only. Help

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

DetlefSchmidt​,

It would be great if you can provide the following log files for analysis and attach them to this thread.

1) usbarb log (you should be able to find it in /Library/Logs/VMware/vmware-usbarb-xxx.log)

2) system.log (/private/var/log/system.log)

3) the output of “ioreg -il”   (Open a terminal, enter "ioreg -il")

4) the VMX log (open your VM package, find vmware.log)

5) vmware-vmfusion.log (/Users/xxxx/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log)

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
DetlefSchmidt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Rick

I had to go back to Mojave and Fusion 8.5 by reinstalling the system backup.

I would hav to to the whole instal ion again. Once I have time free Will do that and revert to you. But that costs app 2 hours work and 5 hours downtime. Keep you posted

Thanks a lot

Detlef

0 Kudos
DetlefSchmidt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Rick here are hundreds of pages in Word Documents.

I can not find number 4???

Would be great you find a solution.

I purchased already 11.5 upgrade from 8.5.10.

By the way I got 8.5.10 running with the proposals of another thread to allow screenshots etc. und Catalina. I run now 10.15.1

Thanks in advance

Detlef

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi ,

Thank you for providing the logs, our engineers are looking into this issue now, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DetlefSchmidt,

Would  you please attach the following logs for further analysis:

1)  all usbarb logs in /Library/Logs/Vmware. Please enable verbose logging in usbarb files by adding the following entries in /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/config (create the file if missing):

log.logMinLevel = 150

loglevel.user.usb = 10

2) vmware.log, you can get it from /Users/dschmidt1/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 10 x64.vmwarevm

Thanks,

-Rick

0 Kudos
DetlefSchmidt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Rick

I installed Fusion 11.5 again and started the updated VM. Thistime not the trial version bt with my license key.

In the Library I do not find any usbarb files anymore.

I connected the shared smart reader, no change. Installed the VMware tools.No change

Under preferences i do not find VMware, only VMware Fusion. There are "Preferences" and Preferences-private. The first contains a lot of pref.keyboard phrases. The latter contains one line: .encoding = "UTF-8"

Your suggesting of entering a new entry I do not understand. How to create the config file I do not know and what for stands the backslash?

Under Documents I only find the folder Virtual Machines with the Windows 10 x64 bundle,

What I send again is just the VMware log file with lots of error messages that file can not be found etc.

Best regards

Detlef

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DetlefSchmidt,

Can you collect a full support bundle and upload it to VMware ftp server?

Steps:

======

1. Open VMware Fusion 11.5

2. Do not launch any VMs, click Help menu, then choose 'Collect Support Information', the collection process may last for few minutes, it will prompt when it is done and you should be able to find the bundle file from your Desktop.

3. Follow the instruction in this KB article and login to the FTP server: Uploading diagnostic information for VMware using FTP

4. Create a new folder and upload you support bundle to this folder. (Send the folder name you created to mksaccount01@vmware.com)

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos