VMware Communities
Woody44
Contributor
Contributor

Windows jumping about when re-fousing on Fusion 11.5

Hi peeps,

Having a really strange issue since upgrading to Fusion 11.5.  I'm running on a MacPro with Mojave 10.14.6 and haven't done anything with the system update, just with Fusion.

I use Fusion in full screen mode on a second monitor.  If i click outside into the native Mac environment on the primary monitor and then back to Fusion, I'm getting the front window of the Windoze application jumping about.  Sometimes it's making a 'click-drag' selection in the Win application as it all moves around.  There's no heavy process running in the background of either environment, but it's just like there's been a mouse click lag.  Everything was running just fine right up until the Fusion upgrade so I'm confident it's something to do with the new version.  VMtools are up to date etc.

Has anyone else come across this one yet?  It's doing my head in!

Cheers

Rob

Tags (1)
26 Replies
Woody44
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Ok, so I have narrowed the issue down a bit.  It turns out it only happens when I'm using a third party bluetooth mouse.  In my case it's a Logitec Master.  The Apple Majic mouse doesn't cause the problem and neither does a wired mouse.  So it's something to do with the way Fusion is handling the bluetooth device.  Again, the issue wasn't present with the last version of Fusion I was running and so I'm assuming it's not anything to do with Logitec's implementation or software.

It's like as soon as I re-focus on Fusion it's thinking there has been a mouse click off screen and as soon as I make a Windows click, Fusion is making it a 'shift-click' and so dragging a marquee or making a range selection.  If the click happens to include the header bar of a window, then that window jumps all over.

Ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Long shot, but have you tried changing the mouse optimization preference?  It may be set on 'always optimize for games'.

0 Kudos
Woody44
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply...  Yes, I've already been there and it's not set for gaming, never has been.  VMware support are now involved, I'll let you know if I get a resolution.

0 Kudos
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue. I too am using Logitech MX Master. Coincidence?

I'll try using a wired Lenovo mouse lying about at work.

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here, but I have a wired Logitech mouse, model RX1000.

This is driving me crazy... by now I have unintentionally dragged and dropped mail folders in Outlook (and having lo clue where they had disappeared), unintentionally selected dozens of cells in Excel (and deleting their content... hopefully we have Ctrl+z), unintentionally selecting text in Word, etc.; all just by switching between the MAC and one of my 2 Windows 10 VMs (or between the two VMs).

It does not happen all the time, though. Sometimes I just switch between the VMs and everything works as expected. Unfortunately, the bug is there most of the times.

It can also happen that when I switch from a VM to another (or from MacOs to a VM, I have to left click 4 times to be able to select an application from the Windows Taskbar. And when it happens, the clicks are interpreted as follows:

1st left click => focus on VM

2nd left click => interpreted as RIGHT click, showing me the options for that application (the ones including "Unpin from taskbar")

3rd left click => interpreted as left click, thus closing the app options popup

4th left click => interpreted as left click, finally I can do some work.

From this point on, until I stay on the same VM, the mouse clicks and movements are ok.

I shall insist on the fact that this does not always happen, but it happens most of the time.

Although Fusion has always had some bugs, this is utterly annoying.

My gear is the following:

• iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
  • Processor: 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 G
  • 2 external DELL monitors
  • VmWare Fusion 11.5
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15 (19A602)
  • 2 Windows 10 VMs (both Version 1903, OS Build 18362.418)
  • Keyboard: Microsoft Digital Media Pro
  • Mouse: Logitech RX1000
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that a wired mouse works flawlessly while my bluetooth mouse (Logitech MX Master) has this problem

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can maybe try with another wired mouse (other than Logitech, of course)

0 Kudos
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

all the people saying they have a problem say they have a Logitech mouse. My wired mouse is Lenovo and it works OK.

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found an old (and dirty... bleargh) Dell mouse, and I experience the exact same issues. I contracted tetanus for nothing :smileyangry:

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still nothing?

I'm quite sick and tired of having to click 4 times, staring attentively at the screen to detect what the "ghost select and move" does, before being able to work on the VM...

0 Kudos
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bump...

no acknowledgement from VMware either?

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

issue is still there, anyone has a clue?

0 Kudos
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK so VMware tech support have confirmed to me that they are aware of this issue and that it affects Logitech mouses in multi monitor setups. I have opened a case and uploaded my logs, will inform once I learn more.

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

:smileyplus:

0 Kudos
OrsoGrigio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, any news on this subject? Will a fix be released in an official 11.5.x release?

0 Kudos
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so, as I mentioned before, I raised a case with VMWare since I have paid support, and after all the exchange of information and my video capturing the issue happen, their last response to me was "We are working with the Engineering Team and we will get back to you with further updates on this." This was on Feb 20. So I guess it's impossible to say where they really are in fixing this issue...

thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I have received an update from VMWare. looks promising, I will try to implement it and report if it worked. see below:

Since this is highly likely that this is caused by the Logitech drivers installed on the host.

Installing the logitech software itself requests "Accessibility" access which means it is capable of low level manipulation of input events, outside of what a mouse driver typically is allowed to do and it is likely doing so in a way that is incompatible with Fusion.

On possible workaround would be to remove the "Accessibility" access for the Logitech software in the Privacy tab in the Security & Privacy system preferences pane. Another possible workaround would be similarly to remove the "Accessibility" access for Fusion from the same place. This will cause Fusion to take a different path for mouse and keyboard events that disables some functionality but should  work.

If these workaround do not work please let us know the results as we continue to debug this.

apostol137
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Tried to disable the accessibility features for Logitech Options, VMware Fusion or both at the same time but the issue wasn't resolved.

0 Kudos
thrubovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing the accessibility features for the Logitech daemon solved the mouse misbehaving (removing availability for VMWare didn't), but it also broke the mouse's extra features - programmable buttons - therefore it's not a good fix for me. I have reported this back to VMWare.

0 Kudos