VMware Cloud Community
C6AC
Contributor
Contributor

Strange Behaviour

Hi All,

We are running 2 node ESXi 6.5. each node has 4 NICs. Two connected to Vswitch0 and other two connected to Vswitch1

Vswitch0 ->> Nic1, Nic2; Vswitch1 --> Nic3,Nic4

Nic1, Nic2 -> VLAN 102; Nic3,Nic4 -> VLAN 113

VMK0 connected to Vswitch0 and VMK1 connected to Vswitch1

VMK0 used for Management & Vmotion traffic and Physical adapter associated with it are trunked.

VMK1 used for vSAN traffic and Physical adapter associated with Access Port.

Both the VMK0 and VMk1 are in same subnet 192.168.2.x. We are trying to change the VMK1 IP to different subnet 192.0.2.x

Current IP Address [VMK0 - 192.168.2.11, VMK1-192.168.2.14]

Our NW person changing the VLAN of Physical adapter Nic3 & Nic4 in switch to match subnet of 192.0.2.x

Once I change the IP address in VMK1, i'm unable to take Putty / web console of my management Interface.

We are clueless how both are interlinked. can anyone help please

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Give more information about your port group settings, especially VMkernel ... Do you set VLAN ID for them or not? and also Failover configuration and port's config on the physical switch side

Nic1, Nic2 -> VLAN 102; Nic3,Nic4 -> VLAN 113

Suppose you don't set VLAN for the Port Groups, because you mentioned VMNICs (Physical Uplinks of your hosts) belong to specific VLAN and are configured as the Access Ports on PHY-Switch. So there is no trunking ... Am I right?

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos