VMware Communities
naitreey
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine shutdown unexpectedly after mac went sleep

Hi everyone, after upgrade my macbook to Catalina, I noticed that if I kept my virtual machine running and mac went into sleep mode, after I woke up the mac, sometimes the virtual machine was reset to shutdown state, meaning I have to boot up the vm again. This has never happened in previous versions of macos, not sure who's to blame here, Fusion, macOS, or my virtual machine.

Here is my system info:

macOS Catalina (macOS 10.15)

VMware Fusion Professional Version 11.5.0 (14634996)

Macbook Pro 2018

The vm in question is a Linux virtual machine, running Manjaro Linux, kernel 5.3.5-1-MANJARO.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ttwwhh
Contributor
Contributor

Something similar (or the same) has been happening to me.

I upgraded to Catalina. Fusion 8.x didn't work. I upgraded to Fusion 11.5. Took a little time to get the Mac side security to get it working. Now all working. Put my Mac to Sleep and came back in the morning and the Windows 10 had the BSOD with a HAL INITIALIZATION FAILED message. Being in the middle of several crisies, I put that aside and just Suspended the Fusion VM before Mac sleep and that was fine. last night I started something and never put the Mac to sleep and came to the same BSOD - HAL INITIALIZATION FAILED.

0 Kudos
ttwwhh
Contributor
Contributor

I played around with it some more after my other crisis died down. I may have found some success.

While the VM was shut down, I went into Setting->Compatibility->Advanced Options. The Hardware version was 16. Seeing as how this worked fine on my Fusion 8.x, I changed the Hardware to 12. Then I went to start up the VM and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade the VM. I said yes. Started the VM. The Setting->Compatibility->Advanced Options->Hardware is beck to 16. I guess Fusion must have applied the upgrade again??? I know that Fusion asked me about upgrading the hardware sometime during my initial install and first operation of the VM and I said yes. Anyway, it all seems to be fine now. No crashing over night while the Mac is in Sleep mode.

0 Kudos