VMware Cloud Community
GPxr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Port group for vCenter on same vSwitch as management network

Hello everybody,

I have 2 hosts with ESXI 6.7 and vCenter is running on the one host. Because the available interfaces from the host are almost depleted, I tried to put vCenter's port group in to the vSwitch which has the management network. This vSwitch is attached to VMKernel NIC. I tried to configure the ports to the same vlan and keep them untagged and make the switch port access port but I cannot have access to the vCenter. I can ping and access the host either way but the vCenter not. The only work around I tried is to put static ip from the same vlan to a pc and access vCenter from there.

It seems that the VMKernel NIC gives priority to host and not to the vCenter. Is there a way to access both? Or at least to access vCenter as the whole work is done from there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I tried to configure the ports to the same vlan and keep them untagged ...

Can you please share the network configuration for the port groups, as well as the physical switch ports, especially the VLAN configuration.

Since you are able to access the vCenter from a PC in the same network, it looks like either a routing issue, or an incorrect default gateway address in the vCenter Server's configuration.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I tried to configure the ports to the same vlan and keep them untagged ...

Can you please share the network configuration for the port groups, as well as the physical switch ports, especially the VLAN configuration.

Since you are able to access the vCenter from a PC in the same network, it looks like either a routing issue, or an incorrect default gateway address in the vCenter Server's configuration.

André

0 Kudos
GPxr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the welcome.

I tried to see what it is going on and it seems that vCenter has not a gateway configured. And from my search, a new installation is the only sollution so I can configure FQDN as name. If there is another workaround, please share, because it will save me a lot of time.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I do not quite understand what the default gateway has to do with the FQDN!?

The default gateway can always be changed.

Support for changing the vCSA's FQDN has been added with vCSA 6.7 Update 3.

André

0 Kudos
GPxr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I am trying to change the gateway a message that says management network configuration not allowed. The message appears right after I try to enter the management network settings. The vCSA's version is 6.7.0.32000.

Everywhere I looked all say the same thing. That the ip cannot be changed if during the installation a IP is set as system name. (Edit the DNS and IP Address Settings of the vCenter Server Appliance )

0 Kudos