VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

is it safe remove a host from a vDS without migrating the management vmk?

Is there any danger/problem in removing a host from a vDS by disconnecting the host from vcenter and then removing the host from inventory? That seems to work without any complaints about stuff still being in use on the vDS.

Reason: I'm building a workflow to rebuild a host. After removing the host from the vDS said host will be erased so whatever config might be left on the host referring to the vDS doesn't concern me. I'm more worried about any traces of the host being left on the vDS and causing problems down the road.

I know the "clean" way is to migrate the vmk but that's a lot more work to code than a disconnect/remove so I wanted to ask if the disconnect/remove option is going to come back to haunt me by silently corrupting the vDS (note: this workflow is not using powercli )

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You'll be fine.

vCenter configures the vDS and applies the configuration to each host individually. ESXi retains that info locally in the event of a disconnect from vCenter, the vms running on it won't drop off the net. That's also why, during a migration, you're asked to verify the network that the VM will be connecting to on the destination host.

0 Kudos