VMware Communities
SiegfriedsHead
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to scale the guest OS window 2x, 4x, etc without changing resolutions?

Hi, I only use this software to play old games in windows 95 and windows 98 so I don't need the full version, but I don't see any way to scale the window when the game only supports 640x480 or 800x600 resolution. Increasing the resolution to make the window bigger doesn't help when the game will only run in these resolutions and I don't want to change my desktop resolution every time I use it as I like to watch videos in another window. I need something that scales the window bigger without effecting resolution like how dosbox does it.

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing or should I be using something other than the free version of workstation player? Should I be using fusion instead for example?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion is for macOS so that won't help you.

VMware Workstation Pro however has the scaling feature that you are looking for.

I suggest to run the 30 day trial first before buying anything.

Download VMware Workstation Pro

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SiegfriedsHead
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

I've been looking into ways to do this all day now and I tried setting the DPI settings for the program to scale it higher from windows by:

.Right clicking the shortcut for Vmware Wworkstation 15 Player.

.Going to properties.

.Selecting the compatibility tab.

.Clicking on  "Change high DPI settings".

.Checking the box under "High DPI scaling override"

.Changing the selection under the drop down box below from Application to System.

This makes the Guest operating system match the scaling setting under your display settings in windows in the host operating system,

but now the mouse won't work.

The mouse doesn't show up on the screen at all in windows 95.

In my windows 98 VM, you can see the mouse, but where you're clicking/pointing doesn't line up with where the mouse is really at.

So that doesn't work.

Is there a setting I'm missing or is one of the other VMware programs better for this like Fusion for example?

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion is for macOS so that won't help you.

VMware Workstation Pro however has the scaling feature that you are looking for.

I suggest to run the 30 day trial first before buying anything.

Download VMware Workstation Pro

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
SiegfriedsHead
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That would be an awful lot of money to spend for just a basic feature.

I'm going to keep exploring ways to circumvent the problems that occur when you try to use DPI scaling in windows for a bit and wait for a few more replies before marking this as the correct answer, but I fear you may be right and that's the only way around this. Too bad there isn't some kind of cheaper version that gives you this basic feature for like 20-50 dollars instead of getting people to pay 250 dollars for a bunch of stuff they don't need just to be able to scale a window.

Thanks for the response though.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not sure if the feature is disabled in the player once you turn it on in Workstation.

What I do know is that the player part continues to work after your 30 days of the Workstation trial expire, so you might still want to try it out.

edit: Oh I wasn't clear. The Player part is bundled with Workstation Pro.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
SiegfriedsHead
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting.

I'll try this out as soon as I get home.

0 Kudos
SiegfriedsHead
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, it looks like that worked.

Though I'll have to confirm if it continues to work after the 30 day trial period is over.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnthraxBass
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, mate. Have you been able to verify, if the Player component of the Workstation Pro is still usable after the trial period ended ?

0 Kudos