9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2019 7:16 AM by LucD

Script to report RPO violations

Baoth Novice

Hi all

I have seen a few forums posts in regards to something similar to what I am trying to achieve, and although I understand getting replication status is somewhat difficult as there is no public API, I am hoping that something can be tweaked to get what I need via a script.

I am currently running the below which I found here:

Get-VIEvent -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) | Where { $_.EventTypeId -match "hbr|rpo" } | Select CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage, @{Name="VMName";Expression={$_.Vm.Name}} | export-csv -NoTypeInformation -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath("Desktop") + "\HBR-RPOEvents.csv")

However, that is returning everything under the FullFormattedMessage column. I'd like to filter that so it only contains "Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by 1 minute(s)".

If possible, I would like to avoid the 1 minute part of the log though. The reason for this is that Alerts work well enough, and will email me when something is violated, but its constantly sending me the 1 minute messages, which subsequently clear under normal operation.

I'd ultimately like to get to a stage where I'm alerted if something is violated by more than 1 minute, and covers the last 24 hours.

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Script to report RPO violations
          LucD Guru
          User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsvExpert

On the 1st part of your question, you can extend your Where-clause to filter on the message content.

Something like this

Get-VIEvent -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) |

Where { $_.EventTypeId -match "hbr|rpo" -and $_.FullFormattedMessage -match "Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by 1 minute(s)" } |

Select CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage,

@{Name="VMName";Expression={$_.Vm.Name}} |

Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath("Desktop") + "\HBR-RPOEvents.csv")

• 2. Re: Script to report RPO violations
            Baoth Novice

Thanks LucD

I have it a go, and it didn't return anything after a good few minutes.

Tried this section of the script, and nothing is returned in the PS window:

Get-VIEvent -Start (Get-Date).adddays(-2) -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) |

Where { $_.EventTypeId -match "hbr|rpo" -and $_.FullFormattedMessage -match "Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by 1 minute(s)" }

If I drop the 2nd match section, I get data returned successfully.

• 3. Re: Script to report RPO violations
              LucD Guru
              User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsvExpert

Could you provide a sample of the text in the FullFormattedMessage you want?

• 4. Re: Script to report RPO violations
                Baoth Novice

From the email Alerts I set up, with RPO Violations, I get mailed the following:

Alarm Definition:

([Event alarm expression: RPO violated])

Event details:

Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by 1 minute(s)

I'm really more interested in "RPO Violated" than anything, and would really like it to ignore the 1 minute warning so to avoid unnecessary concern.

• 5. Re: Script to report RPO violations
                  LucD Guru
                  Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

I mean what exactly is in the FullFormattedMessage field?

• 6. Re: Script to report RPO violations
                    Baoth Novice

Had to generalise some names, but here's the output. The parts in quotes are from the FullFormattedMessage column:

09/10/2019 00:26 "Sync started by VR Scheduler for virtual machine <VM-NAME> on host <HOST> in cluster <CLUSTER> in <DC>." <VM-NAME>

09/10/2019 00:27 "Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by 1 minute(s)" <VM-NAME>

09/10/2019 00:30 "Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is no longer violated" <VM-NAME>

• 7. Re: Script to report RPO violations
                      LucD Guru
                      vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

I forgot the escape the RegEx meta-characters in the condition.

Try like this

Get-VIEvent -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue) |

Where { $_.EventTypeId -match "hbr|rpo" -and $_.FullFormattedMessage -match "Virtual machine vSphere Replication RPO is violated by 1 minute\(s\)" } |

Select CreatedTime, FullFormattedMessage,

@{Name="VMName";Expression={$_.Vm.Name}} |

Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath("Desktop") + "\HBR-RPOEvents.csv")

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Script to report RPO violations
                        Baoth Novice

That's returning data now. Great, thanks!

Would the opening section like this work, to only cover the last 24 hours?

Get-VIEvent -Start (Get-Date).adddays(-1) -MaxSamples ([int]::MaxValue |

Is there any way to have a denominator that is anything other than 1 minute in the second match statement please?

• 9. Re: Script to report RPO violations
                          LucD Guru
                          Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

Yes, that only retrieves the events from the last 24 hours.