VMware Communities
ArnorBld
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 15.5 - not working after Windows update

Hi guys,

Windows 10 forced me to upgrade VMWare Workstation Pro this morning after updating to 1903 build 18362.388 on the host.  So I updated to whatever is the latest download from VMWare as of this morning.

At first it wasn't working with my monitors (I have 4 and it would work with all but the two bottom ones which are the ones I needed)

I updated VMWare tools in hope to fix that, rebooted and my input is gone!  I can enter the PIN when logging into Windows, but after that both keyboard and mouse do not function at all.  No mouse cursor, not keyboard responses Smiley Sad    I've rebooted the host, rebooted the guest several times, and no mouse.  It's a Logitech M705 mouse I've been using for couple of years.  It works fine in the host as well as an Ubuntu VM I have. 

Any ideas?

I'm going to back up the VM and then upgrade it, see if that helps. 

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert

Hi

Check Device/Credential Guard error on Windows 10 Home

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos
ArnorBld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Without keyboard and mouse that's kind of difficult Smiley Sad

But upgrading the virtual machine format to 15.5 seems to have fixed this.

But still cannot set it to use both lower monitors Smiley Sad

Best regards,

0 Kudos
ArnorBld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Too early!  Restarted and the mouse is gone again!!!  No mouse cursor and it's not visible anywhere, so it's like it doesn't think it has a mouse.

This is really bad for me - I have work to do today and I don't know what I can do!

Best regards,

Arnor

0 Kudos
ArnorBld
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Got the mouse to work at least for now by setting the "Optimize mouse for games" to "Never"

Still can't use both my monitors. 

Hang on!  The VMWare tools never updated!  When I went to update, I selected the "Run setup.exe"  I'm not sure what it actually did, but it did't update the VMWare tools!  Now I selected Open folder and I ran the Setup64.exe and it went through the installation properly this time - at least it prompted me and showed me a lot more stuff than before!

AND I have both monitors now!!!

Best regards,

Arnor

0 Kudos
asajm
Expert
Expert

WOW, that's nice.

I wanted to let you know, but you first confirm you already installed VMware tools.

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos