VMware Cloud Community
Jben13
Contributor
Contributor

Issue increasing disk space

Hello,

I recently ran into an issue when increasing the disk space on one of my VM's. It was at 1.9TB when I added 500GB in vsphere web client when the machine was powered on.

It would then not allow me to extend the disk in windows (server 2012). I then restarted the machine and went to disk management to try to extend it again and now have the "Healthy (at risk)" error on the disk. No issues with the disk after i ran a "chkdsk /f "

Has anyone ever run into this before? Is there something I can do or something I should've done differently?

Thank you for any input.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Was there an error message delivered when you tried to extend the file system, or were you simply not given the option? One of the reasons why you might not have been able to do it in the first place is if the partitions have been reordered such that the main file system is not contiguous with the free space. Free space is always added at the end of the partition map and it must be used adjacent to the volume you wish to extend.

0 Kudos
Jben13
Contributor
Contributor

No, there weren't any errors as the extend option has been grayed out the entire time. I have attached a snip of the volume i am dealing with.

I am also not sure about how the volumes got broken up the way that they are? (All files are still accessible on this volume)

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using some form of RAID inside the OS here? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this.

0 Kudos
Jben13
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not, at a loss to what may be going on with this here.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

It seems there as IO errors detected on the underlying disk.. I suggest you backup the data and replace the drive.. check the linked Microsoft link.

pastedImage_1.png

Troubleshooting Disk Management | Microsoft Docs

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I would recommend not using spanned disks in VMs. It causes issues like this and and lot more. Either move the whole data to a GPT disk (VMDK) or a RDM or a VVol.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Not 100% sure, because I don't use dynamic volumes anywhere, but from what I remember a single volume must not exceed 2TB, which is the case here.

André

0 Kudos