Particularly odd about the "missing" SHLWAPI.DLL is that the search replacement software "Everything" comes up with four such files in windows\servicing, one in Windows/system32, one in windows/syswow64 two in windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-schlwapi, a schlwapi.dll.mu in each of windows\system32\en-US and windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-shlwapiresources . It is enormously puzzling to me how VMWare 15.5.0 could even conceivably failed to find at least one of those numerous samples of the file it claims to be missing.
Special thanks to the VMWare lady who talked me through the problem of getting registered at all to inquire here about my problem getting VMWare 15.5.0 to work at all. Ultimate thanks to a friend of mine in the computer industry who understands these things and actually knew the answer that I needed. This was the answer to my problems getting my Win98 virrtual machine to work in VMWare v15.5.0:
It took a couple of different approaches to get into the VMWare v15.5.0 at all, let alone into "safe" mode and it wasn't *in* "safe" mode that I was able to get at the controls that [my friend] indicated were essential. But once I got sort of into my Win98 virtual machine, I went to Settings/ Control Panel/ System/ File System/ Troubleshooting/ and ticked the Disable all 32-bit protected mode disk drives. Whereupon I was able to resize the screen display to its proper configuration and get VMWare v15.5.0 to come up properly and normally with my intended Win98 virtual machine. YIPPEE!