VMware Cloud Community
xian_
Expert
Expert

Specifying reservation (not using reservation policy)

Is there a way to calculate and use a specific reservation instead of using a reservation policy?

Use case: we tied a reservation policy to a cluster, but want to track allocations of different type VMs on separate reservations available to the same business group. By using reservation policy we can only force using the cluster but not the reservation itself. Is this possible at all?

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, but you'd have to do it in custom forms with vRO form validation. When the submission enters the allocation phase is when the reservation is selected and set, and the EBS cannot be used to change it after that point.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

Could not find the custom property to use in the official reference - can you share what should I use?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

HostReservationID

xian_
Expert
Expert

Thanks, this (mostly) works. I assigned (applicable) reservations with a dropdown on the form (code adapted from com.vmware.vra.reservations/getApplicableReservationPolicies).

3 out of 4 deployments ended up on the correct cluster, but one of them was put elsewhere.

- Is there a log file of Allocate phase that I could check?

- Is there a way to force using the reservation and fail if it could not be used for some reason?

0 Kudos