VMware Cloud Community
BrianDGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PowerCLI and PowerShell, VM Report with a touch of Windows Reporting for Flare

I have been way too active on this forum lately and have learned more than I really have a right too thanks to my peers and the Guru LucD.  My new problem, which I have experimented with in a 100 ways and taxed my Google-Fu to the limits and have failed.  I have a wonderful report that I am tasked with running monthly for the Windows/Linux engineering team.  I have recently been converting it get-view as opposed to the original of get-vm to increase the performance.  A full run of get-vm took nearly 6 hours while the get-view takes under 2 hours.  I have had to change some of the results but no big deal.  I am setting a version with menus for ad-hoc runs and that works great but want to add some flare.  I need to get into the OS and report on actual OS uptime since VM uptime is pretty much vanity and just makes the VM engineers look good and the OS guys bad.  I also want to break down the last WSUS updates in a view.  I have many snippets of code that work for each but I can't get them to work in the @{N='xxx';E={} format.  I am looking for help.

Get-HotFix -ComputerName 'dc2' -Credential $ADcreds |?{$_.InstalledOn -gt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-60))}

Returns

Source    Description  HotFixID  InstalledBy      InstalledOn        
------    -----------  --------  -----------      -----------        
DC2 Security Update   KB4516044 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM9/22/2019 12:00:00 AM

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine -Filter @{'Runtime.PowerState'='poweredOn'} |

Select -First 5 Name,

@{N='Last WSUS Security Update';E={

Get-HotFix -ComputerName ($_) -Credential $ADcreds |?{$_.InstalledOn -gt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-90))} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Description | Where-Object {$_.Description -eq 'Security Update'} | select -First 1}},

@{N='Last WSUS Update Date';E={

Get-HotFix -ComputerName ($_) -Credential $ADcreds |?{$_.InstalledOn -gt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-90))} | Select-Object -ExpandProperty InstalledOn | select -First 1}}

Returns blanks, I have tried very various combos for the -ComputerName $_.id, tried foreach($vm in $vms), tried get-view virtual machine in a variable, etc...

As far as the UPTIME goes.  I have pulled threads from tons of sources including the get-uptime:

#No Worky

@{N='Uptime (d.hh:mm:ss)';E={

Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem -ComputerName $_.id -Credential $ADcreds | select $_.ConverttoDateTime($_.lastbootuptime)}

}

#No Worky

Invoke-Command -Credential $ADcreds -ScriptBlock {           

New-TimeSpan -Start (Get-Date) -End (           

[System.Management.ManagementDateTimeConverter]::ToDateTime(           

(Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem).LastBootUpTime           

)           

)           

}

}

}

#No Worky

Get-Stat -Entity ($_) -Realtime -MaxSamples 1 -stat sys.osuptime.latest -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -f [timespan]::FromSeconds($_.value)}}

#No Worky

$Servers = Get-ADComputer -Filter {(OperatingSystem -like "*Server*") -and (Enabled -eq $true)} -Properties OperatingSystem | select -ExpandProperty Name | Sort-Object

#$Servers = (Get-View -id $_.id) -and (Get-ADComputer -Filter {(OperatingSystem -like "*Server*") -and (Enabled -eq $true))} -Properties OperatingSystem | select -ExpandProperty Name | Sort-Object

$Servers = Get-Uptime -computerName $Servers -credential $ADcreds | select LastBootTime

$Servers

}

}

#No Worky

$stat = 'sys.osuptime.latest'

$vms = Get-VM

Get-Stat -Entity $vms -Stat $stat -Realtime -MaxSamples 1

$date.AddSeconds(- $_.Value)}}

Help Please!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could do something like this

select @{N='VM';E={$_.Name}},

@{N='Uptime';E={

$stat = Get-Stat -Entity $_.Name -Realtime -MaxSamples 1 -Stat 'sys.osuptime.latest' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$duration = New-TimeSpan -Seconds $stat.Value

"{0} days, {1} hours, {2} minutes" -f $duration.days,$duration.Hours,$duration.Minutes

}}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For the patch question, can you try the following?

Note that I changed Description  to HotFixId, because Description most of the time just says 'Update' or 'SecurityUpdate'

Select -First 5 -Property Name,

@{N='Last WSUS Security Update';E={

$script:fix = Get-HotFix -ComputerName $_.Name -Credential $ADcreds |

Sort-Object -Property InstalledOn -Descending

$script:fix | where{$_.InstalledOn -gt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-90)) -and $_.Description -eq 'Security Update'} |

Select-Object -First 1 -ExpandProperty HotFixId}},

@{N='Last WSUS Update Date';E={

$script:fix | where{$_.InstalledOn -gt ((Get-Date).AddDays(-90))} |

Select-Object -First 1 -ExpandProperty InstalledOn}}

For the uptime, the sys.osuptime.latest works for me.

Like this for example

Get-VM | Get-Stat -Realtime -MaxSamples 1 -Stat 'sys.osuptime.latest' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue |

select @{N='VM';E={$_.Entity.Name}},

@{N='Uptime';E={

$duration = New-TimeSpan -Seconds $_.Value

"{0} days, {1} hours, {2} minutes" -f $duration.days,$duration.Hours,$duration.Minutes

}}

0 Kudos
BrianDGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD!!

So the next question is how to format the Uptime into the rest of the script that uses the get-view command.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You could do something like this

select @{N='VM';E={$_.Name}},

@{N='Uptime';E={

$stat = Get-Stat -Entity $_.Name -Realtime -MaxSamples 1 -Stat 'sys.osuptime.latest' -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$duration = New-TimeSpan -Seconds $stat.Value

}}

0 Kudos
BrianDGeorge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are truly amazing.  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos