VMware Communities
marietto2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the multimedia audio controller does not work within vmware which runs on top of debian 10

Hello.

I've converted my installation of windows 10 from physical to virtual with the VMware Vcenter Converter Standalone tool because I want to run my physical installation of Windows 10 with VMware on Debian 10. I have also installed the VMware tool inside the virtual machine. It works everything except the Multimedia Audio Controller. I don't know how to fix it.

4 Replies
HisDudenessAbid
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

Came across your post because I was suffering from the same problem, though I'm running VMWare Fusion on a Mac.  When I couldn't find any solutions, I just started trying stuff out.

Try:

1) uninstalling the driver in Windows (device manager)

2) shut down Windows VM

3) Go into VMWare settings.  Remove Audio Device all together from your VM.

4) Boot into Windows 10 again - basically windows now sees there's no audio device.  Then Shut down again.

5) Go back into VMWare settings and add a new sound card

6) Boot into Windows 10 and have it detect the new audio device that you just added

Worked for me.  Maybe it will work with the Debian version of VMW

drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for you reply on this.  Had exact same issue and probably spent an hour before I found this and it worked.  Without this post I doubt I would have removed re-added through fusion

0 Kudos
jmeager
Contributor
Contributor

Great stuff. Had the same issue and was scratching my head.

0 Kudos
BMcGroarty
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Same issue here after nearly four years. I encountered this when migrating a machine from another virtualization program to VMWare. This was what finally made sound work again.

0 Kudos