VMware Cloud Community
usevm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vsphere 6.5 how to use active directory to manage users and groups

I'm running a free version of Vsphere 6.5 so there's no vcenter.

I've joined the Vsphere to AD however, I'm not able to add any AD users or groups.

When I go to Security &  users > users > add user, it does not give me an option to select a domain user.

It only gives me an option to add a local user.

In Vsphere 5.x, using AD users and groups was possible but can't seem to find the settings for it in Vsphere 6.x.

Is there a way in Vsphere 6.5 to add AD users and groups to manage the hypervisor?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When joined to an AD, ESXi grant permissions for ad AD group "ESX Admins".

See e.g. https://arabitnetwork.com/2018/12/05/esxi-security-hardening-change-the-default-esx-admins-ad-group/ for details, and for how to change that group name if needed.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

When joined to an AD, ESXi grant permissions for ad AD group "ESX Admins".

See e.g. https://arabitnetwork.com/2018/12/05/esxi-security-hardening-change-the-default-esx-admins-ad-group/ for details, and for how to change that group name if needed.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
usevm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there also a way to add an AD group to a locally custom created group?

I have created a local custom group that does not have full admin privileges and would like to add an AD group to it for the non-admin users.

In version 5.x, this was possible by going to Permissions > add permissions > users & groups: add > selecting the domain name from the "Domain:" drop down > lists the AD users and groups.

0 Kudos