4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2019 7:14 AM by coltz1979

vCenter Server Appliance Update

cmcdo12000 Lurker

I am currently running vCSA with embedded Platform Services Controller v 6.5U1 (build 7515524).

I am looking to update it to version 6.5U3 (build 14690228 appears to be the latest).

However, according to this: VMware vCenter Server Appliance Photon OS Security Patches

"If you try to update the vCenter Server Appliance directly from an unsupported base version of 6.5 to the current Photon OS patch version, by using the vCenter Server Appliance Management Interface, the process fails. This is expected, but the error message that you see is a generic one. To see the correct error message, check the log files.

This means if you have updated to a version that is released right after vSphere 6.5 Update 2, you cannot directly apply a Photon OS patch that is released after vSphere 6.5 Update 3. You must first update the vCenter Server Appliance to version 6.5 Update 3 and then apply the selected Photon OS patch to the appliance."

Does this mean I need to update to 6.5U2, before updating to 6.5U3, and then installing the latest photon patch? Or can I simply upgrade from 6.5U1 to 6.5U3 and then apply the latest photon patch?

Also, does the Platform Services Controller get updated along with the vCSA or is that a separate update process?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: vCenter Server Appliance Update
          a.p. Guru
          vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

I read this note a couple of times, and I'm still not 100% sure what exactly is meant.

However, what I understand is that this only applies to dedicated Photon OS patches within a given Update release, but not for a Full Patch ("FP") update package.

The FP packages update everything, including the embedded PSC.

André

• 2. Re: vCenter Server Appliance Update
            cmcdo12000 Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I'm also confused.

I assumed that since my vCSA version is currently 6.5U1, I could grab the latest release for 6.5 (6.5U3 build 14690228) and deploy the update no problem.

However, I paused after reading the release notes, specifically this blurb: "if you have updated to a version that is released right after vSphere 6.5 Update 2, you cannot directly apply a Photon OS patch that is released after vSphere 6.5 Update 3. You must first update the vCenter Server Appliance to version 6.5 Update 3 and then apply the selected Photon OS patch to the appliance."

This leads me to believe I need to follow this update path 6.5U1.x > 6.5U2(base version) > 6.5U3(base version) > 6.5U3 build 14690228

If that's what I have to do, then fine but it will make my maintenance window considerably longer.

I just don't want to break my vCSA by not following the correct update path.

• 3. Re: vCenter Server Appliance Update
              a.p. Guru
              User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsvExpert

This leads me to believe I need to follow this update path 6.5U1.x > 6.5U2(base version) > 6.5U3(base version) > 6.5U3 build 14690228

The explanation is indeed very confusing, and it may be worth opening a support call with VMware to clarify this.

As an alternative, you may consider to upgrade to the latest vCSA 6.7 build, which is a direct upgrade.

André

• 4. Re: vCenter Server Appliance Update
                coltz1979 Lurker

Please distinguish the vcsa patches from the vcsa releases and you will have the answer.

If you need to apply a vcsa patch from 6.5 u3 release, you can not apply it directly to a 6.5 u2. You need to upgrade the build to vcsa 6.5 u3 and after that you need to apply the vcsa patch.

This is a release:

This is a patch: