VMware Communities
rpresswood
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15.5 update on Kubuntu 18.04 fails

I'm at a loss to understand the problem, but this update declines to install on my system, with a logged complaint regarding a call to sock.bind(('', port)).  Assuming there may be a port conflict, if the error detailed the conflicting port, the interfering service could be temporarily disabled, but that information doesn't exist.  There is a line number referenced in a file in the /tmp directory, which might be useful except that the file appears to be removed when the installer exists.

I've attached the installer log, in hopes that someone might have some insight into the problem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. could u please try the the command netstat -ano | find ":443" to see if there any any process using the port? or could you please try to install it again after reboot the host? Thanks.

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You probably meant "grep" rather than "find". Or, even better, "ss -ntap sport == :443".

0 Kudos
rpresswood
Contributor
Contributor

The service at 443 proved to be vmware-hostd.  Rather than killing it, I rebooted as an experiment, and the service was reinstated upon reboot, blocking the installer again, of course.  I killed it then, and the update went without a hiccup.

This brings to mind a notion that maybe the installer, if it determines the service using 443 to be vmware-hostd, could kill the service itself, allowing the installation to run transparently.

0 Kudos