VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How can I exclude USB devices from being connected to VM?

In general, I want VMware Workstation to present me with a dialog for choosing whether to assign a newly connected USB device to the host or one of the VMs.

However, this is not true for certain USB devices, like the Microsoft Surface keyboard that I can detach/attach to my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 host device. I want this particular device (and probably others, like USB mice) to exclusively be connected to the host, immediately.

How can I exclude certain USB devices from arbitration?

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
4 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For HID_BOOTABLE devices, a dialog would not pop up for user 'c choice. You can add below line to %ProgramData%\VMware\VMware USB Arbitration Service\config.ini to make the USB device always connect to host:

usb.quirks.device0=”0xVID:0xPID never-allow”

VID & PID can be obtained from vmware.log from your VM folder.

WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks für that tipp! I'll try tonight and check your answer as Correct Answer then when I fiddled what to do.

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

May I suggest to add an option to the New USB Device Found dialog, doing the exact same thing (see suggested new checkbox below):

New USB Device Found Suggestion.png

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please check "Show all USB input devices" from vm settings > USB Controller. Then add below option in %ProgramData%\VMware\VMware USB Arbitration Service\config.ini

usb.quirks.deviceX=”0xVID:0xPID allow”

Then the HID device will be asked when inserting.  “X” is a integer number starting from 0, different device setting must use different numbers.

0 Kudos