Welcome to the Community,
- make sure that there's sufficient free disk space on the datasatore
- check the VM's vmware.log file for related entries
- if the "Srviis01-ctk.vmdk" already exists, see whether deleting helps (deleting this file will result in a full backup next time the backup runs)
Maybe you removed one of your snapshot files manually from datastore before execute consolidation operation, is it happened?
Consolidation will merge the VM's snapshot replica VMDK files so you need to have them all in parent-child structure. If you removed their file it's posible to fail consolidation.
Otherwise you need to have enough space in your datastore to run consolidationPlease mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
No problem disk space on datastore. VMware see 106GB free space, on my filer the LUN have 216GB free.
vmware.log files have only one entry for the problem : 2019-09-23T19:46:39.433Z| vcpu-0| I125: ConsolidateEnd: Snapshot consolidate complete: Could not open or create change tracking file (5).
I have 6 "Srviis01-ctk.vmdk". I deleted them. I will test tonight when users will be disconnected.
No manually remove of snapshots.
Sorry for delay to answer. Please try again this mentioned procedure:
1. First check the following log files after executing Consolidation:
2.Maybe the VMDK file is locked somehow. So power off the VM again and check all remaining lock files.
In the VM directory path in the datastore, run the below commands against the descriptor file and repeat it for every snapshot file and also delta disks
vmkfstools -qv10 disk-name.vmdk
vmkfstools -D vm-disk-000001-delta.vmdk
This shows the snapshot chain for the selected snapshot down to the flat disk and if it returns an error, so consolidation issue occurs because of a broken snapshot chain.
3. Run the following command if you have any snapshots in your corresponding VM and check their flat disks
vmkfstools -D vm-disk-flat.vmdk
4. At last if you cannot solve the problem, please check this link too.Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
Thanks for your reply.
I was able to delete only 5 out of 6 "Srviis01-ctk.vmdk" files. When the backup was made consolidation was done by itself.