VMware Communities
tuaris
Contributor
Contributor

Guests Connectivity Issues after upgrade to Workstation 15.5

After upgrading from 15.1 to 15.5 all guest VM's are having problems making network connections.  Already tried reinstalling, rebooting, resetting networking back to defaults.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tuaris
Contributor
Contributor

Downgrading back to 15.1 fixes the problem.  Clearly there is a regression in 15.5

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you share more information?

What's your host version, and guest version, network issue(ip missing or some other issues)? Is there any special network configuration in your env ?

0 Kudos
simonlaessig
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, Guests have problems in Bridged Mode. There are issues by connecting to other devices in local network. Downgrading fixed it!

0 Kudos
tuaris
Contributor
Contributor

Host is 15.5 on Windows 7.   It happens with any guest OS.

I use VLAN's, but that's irrelevant.

0 Kudos
BatteryKing
Contributor
Contributor

I am updating this as I found my issue was right after updating I installed Docker on this system and Docker changed my iptables forwarding rules and broke what I had going for VMware.  I rewrote my iptable rules to accommodate how Docker does things and now things are good again.

I suppose this provides another place to look, iptable rules.

One thing in particular with VMware Workstation is it does not support vlans.  As my home computer is connected to vlans (I am a software engineer who does a lot of networking stuff, what can I say) and by default VMware Workstation does not handle it (they seem to think this is an "enterprise only" function ignoring people like me who use vlans on their desktop), what I had to do under Linux is create "host only" VMware software switches and bridge to them with the host OS.  Using the default bridged network does not work as it listens in promiscuous mode to all traffic on the physical interface and does not understand vlan tagging.  The host level bridges are to virtual interfaces that handle that particular vlan.

There is still the issue I hit where the software management program is broken under VMware 15.5 with the python library not found even though it is included with VMware.  I had to copy the Python library to my current working directory to make it work.

0 Kudos