VMware Cloud Community
sc2317
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Virtual Machines backup via Microsoft DPM (Data Protection Manasger)

Hi Guys,

I am looking for implementation of separate network subnet for backup of VMware virtual machines by Microsoft DPM. Can someone please suggest, how can we achieve this.

I tested by configuring DPM server to use separate network, however its still not using that network. I am not sure if we need to create separate vmkernel network for that on ESXi host.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sc2317
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no documentation about this scenario from VMware and Microsoft. However, I have managed to run backup on separate network to make sure that my backup traffic flows over that network only. Below are the steps that have to be configured.

1) Put DPM server in separate backup network subnet.

2) Create new vmkernel adapter in same backup network subnet on ESXi hosts running protected VMs.

After above steps when you run backup, ESXi will automatically use backup subnet for backup traffic.

There is no need to add additional network adapters on protected VMs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

I want to give a better path to achieve it:

As you may know this SCVMM (System Center Virtual Machine Manager) can manage both of Microsoft and VMware hypervisor platform. You can add your ESXi hosts or even vCenter Server and do some determined tasks about vSphere management operations. So if you integrate SCDPM with SCVMM you can create backup plans of Virtual Machines belong to the vSphere environment.

Also you can do it by submitting System Center Orchestrator (SCO) workflows. It can be easy by adding related integration packs of SCVMM & SCDPM.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
sc2317
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the update. We don't want to install SCVMM, so I think we'll not go with this option.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Please look at the following link. I think it can help you to do that:

Four simple steps to backup VMware VMs using SC DPM - Microsoft Tech Community - 351588

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
sc2317
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no documentation about this scenario from VMware and Microsoft. However, I have managed to run backup on separate network to make sure that my backup traffic flows over that network only. Below are the steps that have to be configured.

1) Put DPM server in separate backup network subnet.

2) Create new vmkernel adapter in same backup network subnet on ESXi hosts running protected VMs.

After above steps when you run backup, ESXi will automatically use backup subnet for backup traffic.

There is no need to add additional network adapters on protected VMs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
T_16
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did this get around the super slow issue of NFC data trickling out from port 902 on each Esxi host?

0 Kudos