VMware Cloud Community
AlexG83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU of ESXi at 100% after power failure

Hi,

I have ESXi 6.7U2 running on a 2013 Mac Pro.

I have ~ 10 VMs running on it.

I run a plex server on one of them VMs. everything was working well, until I have a power failure.

after the power failure all the VMs are extremely slow.

the CPU on the Host goes to 100% when any of the vmm use 20 or 30% cpu.

you can see in this graph here, the gap is the power failure. And then after shows the spiking.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 12.58.29 AM.png

I use to be able to stream 5 or 6 video streams at the same time with plex. now the system struggles with just one.

I rebooted the host and I'm still seeing the same issues.

here is another graph showing that when one vm uses a lot of CPU it seems they ALL go up.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.42.30 PM.png

something changed with the power failure and I'm not sure what to check or where to start.

any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

boot up the mac with a live CD from any linux distro and see if it behaves the same. If yes you have had a hardware failure somewhere and the machine should be repaired... if live CD is ok ssh into the ESXi and run "esxtop" to see which instance is consuming cpu power. From there track the issue possibly. If you are not able to, you might consider exporting the VMs out on an external disk (as a safety measure) and reinstall the ESXi.

Also although this is a home lab I would spend few quids on a UPS... it saved me lots of times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

boot up the mac with a live CD from any linux distro and see if it behaves the same. If yes you have had a hardware failure somewhere and the machine should be repaired... if live CD is ok ssh into the ESXi and run "esxtop" to see which instance is consuming cpu power. From there track the issue possibly. If you are not able to, you might consider exporting the VMs out on an external disk (as a safety measure) and reinstall the ESXi.

Also although this is a home lab I would spend few quids on a UPS... it saved me lots of times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
AlexG83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, thanks for your answer.

I booted the Mac from with its online diagnostic utility. after running the test I came back with no issues.

I'm now thinking its a software issue. I'm going to re-install ESXi on this host and see where that gets me.

0 Kudos