VMware Cloud Community
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Scratch Location

Recently I was having a conversation with a colleague about the scratch location an ESXi host.  The question that we were unclear on though, was whether or not - when an ESXi host is registered with Log Insight, is the scratch location now Log Insight?  I've noticed that the scratch location isn't changed in vCenter (still /tmp/scratch because this is an SD install), but is that log data being sent to Log Insight?

The log persistence alarm goes away, which is why we ended up having this conversation Smiley Happy.  TIA!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Logs are still being stored locally on scratch (which, in your case, is RAM disk), but they're also being sent to vRLI. If you want them saved to a persistent location on ESXi in addition, you'll need to direct those logs to some other scratch location than a RAM disk. The choice is yours.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
A13xxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The scratch location on the ESXi is totally unrelated to loginsight. The scratch location is still required by the ESXi host

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What I'm struggling with is to understand why then is the non-persistent storage log alarm going away after vRLI is registered to the hosts?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Because it detects that logs are being off-loaded to *some* place other than residing solely on a host which stores them in RAM. The alarm is just designed to let you know that those logs are ephemeral in nature. Once they're off-loaded to another location, that's no longer true.

barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So then that means scratch is being sent to Log Insight then and does not need to be updated on the host? 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Logs are still being stored locally on scratch (which, in your case, is RAM disk), but they're also being sent to vRLI. If you want them saved to a persistent location on ESXi in addition, you'll need to direct those logs to some other scratch location than a RAM disk. The choice is yours.

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ahh ok, see I thought I had read that before.  Since at least one copy is being sent to vRLI then there may or may not be a need to store them locally as well.  thanks!

0 Kudos