VMware Cloud Community
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSAN Stretched Cluster vsphere licensing

Which vSphere license do I need to  install a vSAN streched cluster?

Is DRS necessary or is it possible to install a vSAN streched cluster without DRS using a standard or essential plus vSphere license?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello vmb01​,

Note from the title (and wording) of the article you referenced that those are 'considerations' as opposed to 'requirements' - it is not going to prevent you from configuring a Stretched cluster because DRS is disabled.

However, if you want VMs to run on a particular site (when possible or ONLY) then obviously you will require DRS.

Bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello vmb01​,

You can use any vSphere version you wish - if you require some features (e.g. DRS) that is provided by a certain level of vSphere licensing then you will of course require adequate level of vSphere license to use these vSphere features but there is no requirement from vSAN to have DRS etc.

vSAN licensing does come with free vDS though regardless of vSphere licensing level.

"vSAN is compatible with any edition of vSphere"

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-67-licen...

Bob

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Bob

please pay attention I'm referring to vSAN Streched Cluster.

Looking in the manual here I read: DRS must be enabled on the cluster so I guess that I must have vSphere Ent+ to have  vSAN Streched Cluster.

But I'm not sure....

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello vmb01​,

Note from the title (and wording) of the article you referenced that those are 'considerations' as opposed to 'requirements' - it is not going to prevent you from configuring a Stretched cluster because DRS is disabled.

However, if you want VMs to run on a particular site (when possible or ONLY) then obviously you will require DRS.

Bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have seen people asking this question a few times now, and it always surprises me... Why on earth would anyone want a stretched cluster, but not have the ability to load balance between the clusters and within the clusters?

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Duncan,

the answer is : SMB with few VMs and few money.

With an essential + you can build a 3 host HA cluster spending few money.

Streching it using vSAN allows a customer to have 2 host in the 'main sarver room' where all the VMs run and 1 host in the 'secondary/DR server room'  where the VMs will run only after an host failure.

Am I wrong?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you will need a 3rd location for the witness appliance. Also, you will need the vSAN Enterprise License to have the stretched functionality. And then if you are planning for a failover, you will also need to make sure the 3rd host can run ALL the VMs in the main location. Sure what you are looking at is supported, and it will work when properly managed, but it is definitely not something we see often for obvious reason. (No automated maintenance mode, no DRS migrations automatically, single host not actively used,, etc)

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Duncan,

Actually, in the case of a 1+1+1 (across rooms or across physical sites) only requires vSAN Standard license:

"Scenario 13: 1 host + 1 host+ witness (2-node cluster) across 3 rooms in the same building with maximum 25 VMs This scenario requires either 1 vSAN STD for ROBO (per-VM 25-pack) or 4 vSAN STD per CPU licenses.

Scenario 14: 1 host + 1 host + witness (2-node cluster) across physical sites with maximum 25 VMs This scenario requires either 1 vSAN STD for ROBO (per-VM 25-pack) or 4 vSAN STD per CPU licenses. Customer does not require ENT licenses for a 2-node cluster stretched across 2 physical site."

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-67-licen...

Bob

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bob,

scenario 13 and 14 are not streched cluster. They are only 2 nodes cluster

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What exactly do you think a 2-node cluster located across physical sites and using a witness is? That is a Stretched cluster.

Bob

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I understand that Bob, he is talking about "2+1", as in 2 hosts in DC-A and 1 host in DC-B and a witness somewhere else, that requires vSAN Enterprise Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ah, sorry there, missed the point about having a lop-sided cluster (as it's not a great idea) - that would be a 2+1+1 at minimum as if the 2-node site was lost they wouldn't have quorum with just one remaining host, so yes vSAN Enterprise would be required.

Bob

0 Kudos