VMware Cloud Community
grsobhani
Contributor
Contributor

Changing Snapshot location of a VM form iSCSI to NFS (AWS efs) mounted as a DataStore on ESXi 6.7

Hi VMWare Experts,

I am trying to change the datastore used to create VM snapshots for a couple of VMs running on ESXi 6.7. When I follow the instruction here​ to change the workingDir to a new subfolder under the current VM path (A), it works. However, when I changed the workingDir to the path on mounted NFS datastore (B), the VM does not start.

Could you please ping me with your advice?

The vmx settings are like bellow:

# (A) ===> Works (VM Starts with no problem and writes the snapshots in this path)

workingDir = "/vmfs/volumes/5d71d37b-20845e22-be37-000c29a047bd/Ubuntu-PACS-Server-01/snapshots"

snapshot.redoNotWithParent = "true"

# (B) ===> Does not Work (VM does not start and I recieve the error message in the screenshot.), the NFS is cloud based (AWS EFS).

workingDir = "/vmfs/volumes/56358c82-f50e0870-0000-000000000000/snapshots"

snapshot.redoNotWithParent = "true"

error message.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ignoring for a moment the difficulties involved here, why on earth would you actually want to do this? Do you understand how VMs use their underlying disks? Not only are you asking for horrible performance, but a real chance of losing access to this VM and possibly corrupting it. What you're trying to do, in short, is a really bad idea.

0 Kudos