2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2019 2:08 AM by vmsysadmin201110141

Remove old vCenter from licensed assets

vmsysadmin201110141 Novice

Hi all,

I had to reinstall a vCenter (6.7 U3 with embedded PSC) that was in ELM mode. Now when I go to licensed assets, I have two vCenters with the same name. Any clues on how to remove the old decommissioned vCenter from licensed assets? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Remove old vCenter from licensed assets
          Amin Masoudifard Enthusiast

You can remove it from vCenter Server database anyway, you need to know how to remove it from Microsoft SQL for window-based vCenter Server or PostgreSQL for VCSA.

Check the following VMware KB, I think it can help you how to do it:

VMware Knowledge Base

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
          • 2. Re: Remove old vCenter from licensed assets
            vmsysadmin201110141 Novice

It turned out that even though I unregistered the old vCenter with "cmsso-util unregister" prior to reinstall, a lot of stale services from the decommissioned vCenter were still present in PSC. This KB - VMware Knowledge Base  - gives a hint, but it's not just vcenterserver service type that needs to be removed.

Just in case someone else would hit this issue:

1) you need to figure out the Node ID of your old stale vCenter, the KB referenced above gives you a clue how to do that.

2) Find the Service IDs of all stale services matching the old Node ID (in my case the stale Node ID was 0f3616d1-65cc-4a66-aa34-8d1bd5e44586):

/usr/lib/vmidentity/tools/scripts/lstool.py list --url http://localhost:7080/lookupservice/sdk > /tmp/psc_services.txt

services=($(cat /tmp/psc_services.txt | grep -B 3 0f3616d1-65cc-4a66-aa34-8d1bd5e44586 | grep -i "Service id" | cut -d " " -f 3))

3) Now that the Service IDs that you need to remove are in the $services bash variable, you can do the removal:

for i in "${services[@]}"

do

/usr/lib/vmidentity/tools/scripts/lstool.py unregister --url http://localhost:7080/lookupservice/sdk --id $i --user 'administrator@vsphere.local' --password 'your_password' --no-check-cert

done

4) restart vCenter services and once you log back in, the stale licensed asset entry for the old vCenter should be gone.