VMware Cloud Community
Nickylodeon
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter-VVoL

Dear tech wizards, please hear me out and kindly assist... much appreciated!

Current environment need-to-know facts:

• 1 vCenter manages total 12 host.
  • running on VMware vCloud Suite Advanced
  • vRA and vRO running
  • vNetworking running on DvS
  • Primary Datastore is setup with VVoL integration with HPE 3PAR 8450

Challenge/Issue:

vCenter:

• Physical windows server
  • vCenter is also Veritas media server
  • vCenter is also MSSQL DB server hosting DBs for vCenter, Trend Micro , Veritas and other apps

Planning to do it right, replacing with VCVA.

Cant seem to find any related info on how do re-present current VVOL storage to a new vCenter while retaining all data.

Attached with environment version details.

Any one... please share

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You cannot perform a "horizontal" migration from a physical vCenter on 6.5 to the vCSA also on 6.5. When you migrate to the appliance, this is part of a vSphere upgrade (meaning 6.5 => 6.7). As part of that, the identity of the source vCenter will be migrated and so there's nothing you should have to do with vVols in that case.

0 Kudos
Nickylodeon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

kindly asking if there is any official docs that specifically states that a VC upgrade from 6.5 => 6.7 would inherit VVoL config?

Sorry, don't mean to sound like am doubting you but i have a really critical environment(RTPO 2 hours).

if this does not work out, a worst case where a new VC were to wipe out all data on storage... IM DEAD.

I need to be really sure that this will work and will need to write in to "change management team" before i schedule this.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Open an SR and get a case, and you can use that to document there response, its usually what i do if I need something offical.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Agree with sjesse​. A community forum is not the place to go to get "official" commentary from VMware that may influence the critical operation of your datacenter. Open an SR if you need such a statement.

0 Kudos