VMware Cloud Community
SATHISHVIJAY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Memory and Processor Requirement of vSAN

Hi Friends,

What is exact Memory and Processor Requirement of vSAN 6.x ?

How much each Host's memory and cpu requirement as an eligibility criteria ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please see whether Requirements for Enabling vSAN  answers your questions.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please see whether Requirements for Enabling vSAN  answers your questions.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Sathish,

The only real CPU requirement is that the CPUs in use are certified and supported for the version of ESXi in use (e.g. 6.5/6.7) as per the regular ESXi HCL.

As per CPU overhead consumed by vSAN itself, approximately 10% should be considered for this (but how much of this it will actually use depends on numerous factors which is another topic entirely):

Designing and Sizing vSAN Hosts

Memory is a different story and actually depends on the configuration of the Disk-Groups:

VMware Knowledge Base

Bob

0 Kudos
SATHISHVIJAY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Bob, Greetings !

Thanks for your reply...

Could you please explain, "vSAN introduced not more than 10% CPU overhead"... How is it benefited for higher performance.

For higher performance , the CPU overhead should be large or small in percentage ?

Note : Quick answers is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you can't tweak that number Bob mentioned. It is an estimate of what we see on average with customers. If you push an insane amount of IO and have a very demanding workload and various data services enabled that percentage will be higher, if you have a workload not doing anything and no data services turned on it will be lower.

So it comes down to: it depends.

0 Kudos
SATHISHVIJAY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI Duncan, Greetings!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Duncan Sir.

I am so blessed to have a response from a Legend. It is truly an amazing day for me.

Myself and my friends used to follow your blogs for all our day today activities and for deep analysis.

Thank you again,

Sathish Vijay