VMware Networking Community
gilgamed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the difference in configuring Netflow destination at the DVS versus Net-Sec/Flow Monitoring?

I am limited in my ability to try this out due to policy. I see that IPFix collector IP's can

be specified in Flow Monitoring/Configuration and an IP Flow destination can be set in

DVS/Configuration/Netflow.. My question: What is the difference in these two settings?

Do they overlap in reporting the same data only more details with the vCenter/Networking

and Security/Flow Monitoring? We're adding a new VRNI server and collector and I'm trying to

understand this nuance. Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have NSX in the environment the recommendation is to add both. They have different information that complement each other. The NSX IPFIX comes from the DFW. One example of information that only this IPFIX has is flows that were blocked. On the other hand VDS IPFIX has other relevant information.

This blog post details some of the differences: NSX IPFix vs VDS IPFix (Netflow) – meet NSX

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mauricioamorim
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have NSX in the environment the recommendation is to add both. They have different information that complement each other. The NSX IPFIX comes from the DFW. One example of information that only this IPFIX has is flows that were blocked. On the other hand VDS IPFIX has other relevant information.

This blog post details some of the differences: NSX IPFix vs VDS IPFix (Netflow) – meet NSX

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
gilgamed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a huge help. Thank you.

0 Kudos