VMware Cloud Community
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing Dell Update/ISO via Update Manager

Hi All,

I am seeing that it may be possible to upgrade my Dell 6.7 Update 2 to Dell 6.7 Update 3 via Update Manager by uploading it and attaching it as a baseline.

Is this still a viable option for updating or should I stick with boot from a CD to run the ISO?

Thanks All.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't mix up upgrades with updates/patches.

A host upgrade (that's where an uploaded ISO image comes into play) is done from e.g. ESXi 6.0 to 6.5, or 6.5 to 6.7, ... using a "Host Upgrade" baseline.

What you are asking for is an update/patch, for which you may - if you don't have Internet access - upload the patch bundles, or Offline Bundles (e.g. the Dell customized one) to Update Manager, and create a patch baseline.

Other than using the ISO image to run an interactive update, you can also use an offline bundle and run the update from the command line using esxcli software ... commands.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't mix up upgrades with updates/patches.

A host upgrade (that's where an uploaded ISO image comes into play) is done from e.g. ESXi 6.0 to 6.5, or 6.5 to 6.7, ... using a "Host Upgrade" baseline.

What you are asking for is an update/patch, for which you may - if you don't have Internet access - upload the patch bundles, or Offline Bundles (e.g. the Dell customized one) to Update Manager, and create a patch baseline.

Other than using the ISO image to run an interactive update, you can also use an offline bundle and run the update from the command line using esxcli software ... commands.

André

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos