4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2019 10:48 AM by Bill Oyler

Different VLANs and subnets still required for Edge and ESXi TEPs in NSX-T 2.4.x?

Bill Oyler Enthusiast

Use case: Deploying NSX-T 2.4.x Edge nodes using VM form factor in a collapsed Management/Compute/Edge cluster, with ESXi hosts containing 2 pNICs, using N-VDS for all VLAN backed networks.

I know that NSX-T 2.3 specifically requires the Edge TEPs to be on a different subnet and VLAN than the ESXi host TEPs.  This is clearly documented in the NSX-T 2.3 Install Guide: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-T-Data-Center/2.3/com.vmware.nsxt.install.doc/GUID-370D06E1-1BB6-4144-A654-7AF2542C3136.html

However, the NSX-T 2.4 Install Guide seems to have deleted all references to different subnets and VLANs being required for the Edge TEPs and ESXi TEPs.  Has this requirement been lifted in NSX-T 2.4?  Or has the documentation simply not been updated yet?

(I also checked the NSX-T Design Guide, but it appears to be even more outdated - no updates since v2.0.  I also reviewed the blog post here (NSX-T Edge: Flexible deployment options for NSX-T Data Center Edge VM) but that is from late 2018 before NSX-T 2.4 was released so I'm not sure if it is still 100% accurate.)

Does anyone know if this requirement was lifted in NSX 2.4.x, or do we still need dedicated VLANs and subnets for the two different TEP pools?

Thanks,

Bill