VMware Communities
klkitchens
Contributor
Contributor

Suspended Guest Cannot Restart after Crashed Host

So the order of events is important to understanding this question.  So please read carefully, thanks. Smiley Happy

Why will a suspended Guess fail on restart of a crashed Host?

Sometimes this happens:  I suspend my work "machine" a Windows 10 guest system and that's fully completed.  However, during shutdown of my host machine, it sometimes won't fully shut down requiring me to power off (after waiting 5-10 minutes).  Other times the host machine just crashes during use -- rare but happens (and the suspended guest had been suspended and closed for several hours).

Then when I reboot the host and try to launch the suspended guest (and VMWare still says it's suspended), it boots up and then fails.  Either it hangs and restarts on it's own, or VMWare gives me a dialog that says it ran into a problem.

However, if I suspend the machine and successfully shutdown and restart the next day or whatever, then the suspended guest loads and restores just fine.

On the surface this makes no sense whatsoever. But I'm sure there must be some rational explanation.

This has been going on for me for over 7 years.  Multiple machines.  Multiple version of VMWare.  It's annoying because I lose my work machine "state" with open files, etc... and sometimes lose work -- though I now save everything before suspending.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
asajm
Expert
Expert

Hi

?What appears in the logs

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos