VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

how can migrate a vm that use USB without detach USB and without lose USB connection

what is vmware solution about migration for vms that use USB as dongle ?

how can vmotion VM1 from host1 to host2 while it use usb dongle on host1

is that possible share that USB between all of esxi hosts ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
10 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks

Previously I was read that but could not understand 2 note:

1- You must configure all USB pass through devices connected to a virtual machine for vMotion. If one or more devices is not configured for vMotion, the migration cannot proceed.

Actually could not understand exactly this

Is that means for example when i connect VM1 to host1 I had to pass through all usb ports on this host ?

2- Remote USB devices require that the hosts be able to communicate over the management network following migration with vMotion, so the source and destination management network IP address families must match

Is this a second method that we can connect USB via IP address to a VM ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know why you couldn't understand these points. #1 means you have to configure the device for vMotion. It's done on the VM configuration. Look at the screenshot here.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

To get it work you have to meet both requirements which means

1. Mark the checkbox when setting up the USB device for VM use

2. Make sure both Hosts can reach each other

3. Dont reboot first Host

Using USB within a VM doesnt mean that you have to use PCI Passtrough. This was a hack from vSphere 4.1 times (around 2010) when support for USB was only half implemented in ESXi.

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Is that your means on VM that attach use if I just check box support vmotion is that enough ?

1- Because I have more than 10 hosts in my cluster now if USB is plug to esxi1 and attach to vm1 on esxi1 while it vmotion from esxi1 to esxi2 USB will bw work without lost connection ?

2- if esxi host1 which usb is connected to that failed while VM1 is on host2 now what happen will be do ?

3- due to update esxi hosts what happen ? because have to reset all hosts?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes, just mark the checkbox.

1. Yes

2. You will loose the USB Devise

3. See 2.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

As I understood :

1- if usb is connected to HOST1 and vmA is on host1 and vmA is used from that usb in this mode if host1 failed vmA will be migrate to HOST2 and usb will not work is that correct ?

2- if usb is connected to HOST1 and vmA is on host1 and vmA is used from that usb in this mode if vmA migrate from HOST1 to HOST2 usb will work without any problem is that correct ?

3- Eventually we can say usb will fail while HOST1 which usb is connected to it failed  is that correct ?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Yes, correct.

2. Yes, correct.

3.  Eventually? If something failed it becomes unavailable.

Regards,
Joerg

baber
Expert
Expert

That's my means USB will be unreachable just while HOST1 that usb has connected to that fail

1- Is that correct ?

2- I just want sure now  it is not necessary to create a role for that vm for prevent DRS and vMotion because this vm is need to a specific usb dongle for running ?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

All your questions are already answered.

Yes, a DRS rule will always be a good idea if you have Enterprise Plus licensing.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos