VMware Cloud Community
aabel116
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to remove vSAN Trial License from vCenter Cluster

Does anyone know how to remove a vsan trial license from a cluster? When I try to remove the trial license, it says it's assigned, but there is no usage, and cannot be removed. I trialed it a while ago, but since disabled, turned vSAN off, cleaned all the disks, and made sure it was totally disabled.  However, I get a nag-warning everytime anyone logs into vCenter that I have expired licenses. Even disabling the alarm doesn't work. Support says it's not possible, which I find hard to believe.

I'm sure I could create a new cluster, and move everything over, but I'm using the full stack of NSX, so deploying ESGs to the new cluster would cause a brief outage. There has to be a way to reset the vsan license component so I can remove it.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lzhan
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same issue. Finally figured out based on VMware Knowledge Base KB-2115869

1. *** Make a snapshot of your vCenter ***

2. Stop the VMware Security Token Service and VMware Identity Management Service. Ref: VMware Knowledge Base​ KB-2109881

3. Download and install JXplorer

4. Connect to vCenter through JXplorer (step 5, 6 of KB 2115869).

5. Check every AssetEntry_domain under: Services > LicenseService. Confirm from vmwLicSvcAssetName to make sure they really link to the clusters in vCenter.

6. Delete the affected AssetEntry_domain entries.

7. Reboot vCenter server.

After reboot, the Evaluation license should not be there any more.

rjblogger
Contributor
Contributor

Can the step "Stop the VMware Security Token Service and VMware Identity Management Service" still be done in the HTML5 GUI, in vCenter 7.0? The instructions in KB-2109881 are outdated and only work in older GUIs. 

0 Kudos