VMware Cloud Community
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Upgrading vCenter 6.0 to 6.7 - keep same vCenter name?

Noticed during the upgrade of vCenter 6.0 to 6.7 it says specifiy the VM settings for the appliance to be deployed.

VM Name =

I want to keep it the same name as we currently use as there are external systems etc that hook into vCenter. How do i keep the same name or am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

Adam

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Noting that the upgrade procedure will make a new vCenter server machine. the old vCenter will be powered off once the upgrade succeeds.

For that, if you have any third party application contacting your vCenter machine name in the Inventory, so you have two options:

• Change the name in the inventory of the existing vCenter machine, then proceed with the upgrade, and the select the correct name during this process
  • Upgrade the vCenter with new machine name, after successfully complete change the name to the needed one

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Make sure you have selected "Upgrade".

If you are referring to the passage in the figure, you must enter the same name as your vCenter

pastedImage_8.png

This guide is well done, you can take it as an example:

https://www.kieri.com/step-by-step-upgrade-vcenter-vcsa-6-0-to-6-7/

Best regards

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I want to keep it the same name as we currently use as there are external systems etc that hook into vCenter.

How do these external systems connect to vCenter Server? I assume that they connect to it by it's hostname/FQDN, rather than its name in the vCenter Server's inventory?

What you specify during the upgrade is only the inventory name. The new vSCA will assume the current vCenter Server's identity (hostname, FQDN, IP address, ...).

If you want /need to keep the name in the inventory anyway , then either rename the current vCenter in the inventory, and specify the original name during the upgrade, or rename the new vCenter's name after the upgrade. Please note that in case you rename vCenter prior to the upgrade, you should also specify another datastore to avoid folder naming conflicts.

André

HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Noting that the upgrade procedure will make a new vCenter server machine. the old vCenter will be powered off once the upgrade succeeds.

For that, if you have any third party application contacting your vCenter machine name in the Inventory, so you have two options:

• Change the name in the inventory of the existing vCenter machine, then proceed with the upgrade, and the select the correct name during this process
  • Upgrade the vCenter with new machine name, after successfully complete change the name to the needed one

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks. I successfully did the upgrade yesterday and named the new one with -new at the end of its name. Then changed the old one to -old and then removed the -new

0 Kudos