VMware Communities
mksft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 Sandbox and VMware

Hi!

I have updated Windows 10.1903 with fixed Sandbox.

Installed have VMware Workstation 15.

Hyper-V incl. hypervisor and all components are removed/disabled.

I tried to run Sandbox, but it outputs only error message "No hypervisor found".

I want to ask if it means Hyper-V hypervisor and if can VMware work together - without enabling/disabling between.

Is it possible?

Thank you for replies.

Miro

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robertvmw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Miro,

I was actually looking for the same information. In my case I need to run Docker for Windows.

It seems it is not possible to run VMware Workstation on Windows with the Hyper-V feature on.

And what's worse, they don't seem to be working on a solution. Time to change to a different virtualization product? It seems inevitable.

I found this thread to be informative.

VMWare workstation 15 and Hyper-V / Credential Guard Compatibility

Of course if you happen to find information that a solution is on the horizon then I'd like to know.

0 Kudos
mksft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From linked thread:

I tested VirtualBox and it can run also when is Hyper-V installed.

Paradox is that I have guest Windows 10 in VMware and there running Windows Mobile emulator by Hyper-V and installed also VirtualBox with working guests.

I know about Device Guard problem and when I updated Windows 10 to version 1903, VMware 15 was near impossible to get it work not only for Hyper-V parts, but much bigger was problem with Device Guard, Core Isolation etc. Later solved.

Really I don't know about better solution than VMware, but also some guests working not in VMware. For example Windows Phone emulator and XP mode of Windows 7.

Much bigger problem have guests in VirtualBox.

I installed earlier to Hyper-V Windows XP mode from Windows 7 - successfully, Windows Phone too.

So, I want to try Sandbox and really I'm afraid of hypervisor clash.

Reason for this Q was that I did near impossible - get work VMware 15 after Windows 10.1903 update - and I'm afraid to begin new fight after testing Sandbox.

Miro

0 Kudos