VMware Communities
AglaiaChan
Contributor
Contributor

cannot find vmware-user

Hi all,

I want to install vmtools on CentOS, but I cannot find vmware-user in /etc/bin, and after i use `find` the result is

pastedImage_1.png

I checked and found that someone could run vmware-user-suid-wrapper on Ubuntu:不做死就不会死……VMware Workstation 12 里的Ubuntu14.04升级后,虚拟机桌面无法适应客户机了 - Chinley的大杂烩 - CSDN博客

But on my system, is a *broken* symlink. ./vmware-user-suid-wrapper gives me:

vmware-user: could not resolve symlink: No such file or directory

vmware-user: failed to start vmware-user

Does anyone have any tips / tricks / ways to debug this issue?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you expect that your Centos has created the account "vmware-user" before you installed vmware-tools ???

Why ?

Have you already installed the open-vmware tools via yum ?

0 Kudos
AglaiaChan
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed vmware tools, but I can't find vmware-user after installation.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - but why do you think you need it at all ?

That account is not intended to log on - it is only created for internal vmware-tools functions ...

Is anything not working and / or do you get any error messages when operating the VM ?

0 Kudos
AglaiaChan
Contributor
Contributor

In my virtual machine, CentOS has only a small screen. It can't adapt to the whole screen after enlarging the virtual machine interface.

I have installed VMware Tools, and also updated the menu bar settings of VMware, but the screen is still not adaptive.

I did not get any error messages when operating VM, and my Ubuntu can uses VMware Tools successfully.

I wonder if Centos without a graphical interface can't change its screen size in the VM?

ps, I found that they had the same issues as me, but I did not understand their solutions...sigh..(#9,#10)

Cannot get Copy-Paste to work for Workstation Player 12

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I wonder if Centos without a graphical interface can't change its screen size in the VM?

Any Linux VM in text-only mode will be smaller screen - the VMware Tools graphics driver only affects the graphical mode.  Same with DOS/Windows not in Windows GUI mode.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Robert,

In Workstation 15, not in earlier versions, you can stretch the text interface so that it gets bigger.

See https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vmworld-usa-2018/WIN1428BU.mp4 at 26:30

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AglaiaChan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Now I understand.

0 Kudos
AglaiaChan
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you wila, but I can't open your website in China.

It's a pity.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I can't fix that I'm afraid as I don't know any link that to the same video that would work from within China.

The link to the amazon website shows a video of the VMworld 2018 presentation of VMware Workstation 15.

The part I highlight shows that in VMware Workstation Professional 15 you can use the stretch functionality in the view menu to get bigger letters in Linux text console.

This is a new feature for VMware Workstation Professional 15 and not possible in earlier versions of VMware Workstation. It is also not an option in VMware Workstation Player.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AglaiaChan
Contributor
Contributor

It is so kind of you. Thank you very much.

I found the button in the view menu and successfully stretched my text, but it seems that the pixels are not synchronized.

This is really a good feature.

0 Kudos