VMware Cloud Community
cybershoe
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter "forgets" BMC settings

I'm running into an issue enabling DPM on my cluster. I'm able to configure the BMC addresses and credentials, and when I test entering and existing standby mode everything works, and I'm able to enable DPM. When I go into Host Options, I see that all of the hosts have a successful "Last Time Exited Standby" time.

However, after some time (a few hours), I start to see "Cannot perform power operation on host" and "The host's BMC does not support IPMI" errors on DPM events. If I try to manually enter and then exit standby mode, it similarly fails, and when I go into Host Options, the "Last Time Exited Standby" for all hosts has reverted to "Never". If I go to the host power options and re-enter the BMC credentials, everything starts working again for a few hours, until it "forgets" again.

This is for a home lab, and I'd like to keep my power bill down, so obviously getting DPM working would be ideal.

Details about the lab:

Servers are a mix of Dell R710 and R720, with iDRAC6 and 7 BMCs respectively.

Hypervisors are ESXi 6.7u2 (13981272)

vCenter is 6.7.0.32000 (14070457)

The servers are running without internal storage, booting off of a USB stick with the scratch location configured on an NFS4 datastore.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies