3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2019 5:32 PM by Ryan Johnson

VVD and NSX Standard

freiversuch Lurker
    VMware Employees

Quick question: Is a VVD deployment with an NSX standard license still considered compliant to VVD design?

My concerns are specifically around DFW rules as well as the missing universal objects.

I'm not worried if the deployment works or not, just if it can be considered VVD or if we need to consider it a custom design.

• 1. Re: VVD and NSX Standard
          Ryan Johnson Enthusiast
          VMware EmployeesvExpert

Yes, and no.

You can deploy the VMware Validated Design in a single region and use NSX Data Center for vSphere - Standard and forego the use of universal objects for a single region deployment only. You'd still create the local- and cross-region AVNs/virtual wires. However, you would need to follow the 4.3 manual guidance and then upgrade 4.3 > 5.0 > 5.1 since as of 5.x, the deployment is automated and today expects that the license provided supports universal objects.

- -
          Ryan Johnson
          Staff II Solutions Architect, VMware R&D
          VCIX6.5-DCV, VCIX6-NV, VCAP7/6-CMA, vExpert '13-'19
          @tenthirtyam
          • 2. Re: VVD and NSX Standard
            freiversuch Lurker
            VMware Employees

Hi Ryan.

Thanks for your quick answer. I suspected as much.

Just to clarify one detail: the vRealize VM in the management stack would still have to be on VXLANs?

If the vRealize VMs were connected directly to VLANs instead and no ECMP ESGs were created, it would no longer be considered VVD?

• 3. Re: VVD and NSX Standard
              Ryan Johnson Enthusiast
              VMware EmployeesvExpert

That’s correct. The use of NSX-v in the management domain and for placing the vRealize Suite solutions is a hard requirement for the design. It’s worth noting that migration to NSX-T in the management domain will come one full dual-region parity is available in the product.

- -
              Ryan Johnson
              Staff II Solutions Architect, VMware R&D
              VCIX6.5-DCV, VCIX6-NV, VCAP7/6-CMA, vExpert '13-'19
              @tenthirtyam