4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2019 8:00 AM by nvaert1986

Question about the Direct backup method and moving from a Microsoft Windows based VMware vCenter environment to VCSA

nvaert1986 Novice

Hello everyone,

I've got a question about moving from a Microsoft Windows VMware vCenter based environment to a VMware VCSA appliance before we move the specific environments.

- We've currently got 3 hosts and a SAN;

- 2 Virtualization hosts running VMware vSphere 6.7 U1 (we're planning to migrate them to U2);

- 1 Physical host running Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 with VMware vCenter and Veeam for backup;

- All 3 hosts are connected to the SAN using SAS;

- The VMware VMFS-5 partition is mounted read-write for the virtualization hosts and read-only for the Microsoft Windows host;

- The license used is VMware vSphere 6 Essentials Plus (in case this matters, though I don't think it does from what I've read).

Currently we're using the "Direct" backup method for making backups of the VMware vSphere environment. Is it still possible to backup using the "Direct" backup method when moving from a Microsoft Windows VMware vCenter to a VMware VCSA appliance?

Note: The physical host will remain attached directly to the SAN in read-only mode, but the vCenter will just no longer be located on the physical host and in the virtual environment.