VMware Cloud Community
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Assign Tags to Vsphere Objects (distributed port-group & Standard port-group)

hi,

i am working on a workflow which creates new standard port groups and tags (with my values like vlan,name etc..)

my workflow already creating successfully the port group and the tags with my desired id,categories.

i am trying to find a the best way to attach\assign the new tags inside the new standard port groups (without external powershell scripts)

my goal is: (create standard portgroup/distributed port group ---> create tag ---> attach the tag to the portgroup/ds portgroup)

thank you in advanced.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You can attach tags to vSphere object using vRO vAPI plug-in. It comes with some example workflows, and there is also some information online; for example, https://oliverleach.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/vrealize-orchestrator-7-vapi-vsphere-tags-workflow/

If for some reason you don't want to use vAPI plug-in, you can invoke the tagging API using the HTTP-REST plug-in.

0 Kudos
cloudyred
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There seems to be no vapi:vapiendpointclient type available.

I was looking to pass an endpoint client between actions but this doesn't seem possible.

Is there any reason that the vapi plugin doesn't have a type to match a client?

Cheers,

Red

0 Kudos
orian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

is there any example for objects other than "vms" ? like "standard port groups" etc...

there is seems to be no information online about objects that are not vc:virtualmachine.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The only difference would be the object ids/types, so I suppose that's why most vAPI examples intentionally do not are only for virtual machines (or some other common vCenter object type).

So if you have an example code how to assign a tag to virtual machine object, and you want to modify it to work on other vCenter object type, you just need to change the values for object type and object ID, and there is a good chance the code will assign correctly the tag to the new object.

0 Kudos