VMware Communities
VMMK
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse clicks and double-clicks ignored - VMWare Workstation 15.0.2 and Latest 15.1.0-13591040 - guest Windows 10 1903 Build 18362.267

VMWare Workstation 15.1.0-13591040 (as well as previous 15.0.2 version)

Host: : Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.829 64-bit

Guest: Windows 10 1903 Build 18362.267 64-bit

After applying Windows Update KB405903 (8/8/2019)

The mouse (USB) correctly hovers windows and desktop icons but the clicks and double-clicks are ignored making the system unusable.

I tried all the usual mouse issue resolutions:

- Removing VMWare tools

- Reinstalling VMWare tools

- Deleting Mouse drivers / reinstallaing Mouse driver

- Trying another mouse

- Updating VMWare workstation 15 to the latest 15.1.0-13591040

Nothing worked.

Only restarting Windows in Safe mode + networking enabled to restore mouse click and double click  (but this is of course not an option)

I finally uninstalled the Windows Update KB405903 (8/8/1209)

and mouse clicks and double-clicks were working OK again.

Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GuardianSix
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue and after trying everything I accidentally rebooted the host (while VMWare Workstation was running, no less - not generally recommended). This host reboot inexplicably fixed the problem. My OS versions are both 10.0.18362, although I don't think any updates were installed to either was part of this reboot. Hope this helps. I'm disappointed in VMWare's lack of a response to your question.

0 Kudos
VMChris999
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply (I'm VMMK who posted the question).

Hmmm, this is an unusual resolution!

At this time I've removed the Windows update, paused updates and rolled back to VMWare 15.02 thta is working OK for me on Windows 10 1803. (busy with real work, not much time to play with buggy VMware versions).

But if I bumped into the problem later, I'll try it and let you know the outcome.

Regarding VMWare I think they are dying. support is a real shame. It seems they do not even test Workstation with the Windows Insider versions,see recent issue (Opened in April):

"Workstation pro not working on windows 1903"

Could be time to move to other solutions. Hyper-V? anyone did the jump already? any feedback?

0 Kudos
GuardianSix
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using VMWare Workstation Pro 15.1.0, I forgot to mention.

At work we use a combination of ESXI (VMWare's bare metal hypervisor) and Hyper-V on bare metal; IT mostly manages those hosts and seems to view the technologies as mostly equivalent. Maybe it's just VMWare Workstation that's neglected, I don't know. When I added the Hyper-V option on Windows 10 it broke VMWare so be careful of that if you test it out.

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried to update win101903 to latest? I'm using win101903 VM with KB4512508 (OS Build 18362.295), and didn't hit the mouse issue you encountered.

If issue still exist, could u help upload the support bundle to below ftp site? It can help to address the problem. Thanks

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

0 Kudos
IdentityMan
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this issue upgrading a VM to Windows 10 1903. I fixed it doing the following:

• HOST: Installed VC++ Redistributable 2015-2019 (Required by VMWare Workstation 15.5). Reboot Host.
  • HOST: Upgraded to VMWare Workstation 15.5
  • HOST: Selected Edit > Preferences > Input > "Optimized Mouse for Games" : Never
  • GUEST: Updated VMWare Tools. Reboot Guest.

After doing all of these the VM is working again. I tried mouse games edit above but always had to use keyboard to navigate until I hit the sequence above that worked. If there are issues, you can switch the order of Items 3 and 4.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos