3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2019 12:25 AM by mmangal

v4.1 the client VM in remote mode test

niceguy001 Novice

according to the view planner user guide version 4.1,

it seemed that if i want to perform a remote mode test (linked-clone or instant-clone, for example), the client VMs must to be created via the view planner?

is it mandatory to deploy client VMs from the view planner harness?(or actually client VMs can be deployed via the horizon view?)

if so, what are the recommended parameters to enter in the "prefix" column of "Clone VMs" page? I received error from the view planner when trying to clone VMs but failed to verify where the problem from...

as shown in figure below:

• 1. Re: v4.1 the client VM in remote mode test
          mmangal Novice
          VMware Employees

Hi @niceguy001,

1. Creating clones by viewplanner harness is just an option and not mandatory. You can create your vms(both clients and desktops) via horizon view.

2. If you are creating clones by viewplanner harness then in "Prefix" you need to provide the prefix of VM names that will be created. Cloning may fail because of various reasons(ex. setup related issues,parameters you are providing etc.). Please make sure infra server, Parent VM name and other details you are providing are correct.

• 2. Re: v4.1 the client VM in remote mode test
            niceguy001 Novice

mmangal nice answer!

i have two last questions would like to be clarified:

1. if i created horizon view desktop pool for client VMs to perform remote mode test, does the "prefix" name in the run profile requesting me to enter the "pool name" or the "VM name" of client VMs' template? (I feel a little bit confused about "prefix".)

2. if I do the remote mode test on horizon view desktop pools, when should I entitle the domain users to the desktop pool? the view planner user guide said that the view planner will create AD users using "Work Group name" as the prefix, however, i couldn't find these users after created the run profile...

thank you so much for the help!~

• 3. Re: v4.1 the client VM in remote mode test
              mmangal Novice
              VMware Employees

Hi niceguy001

1. For client VMs in "Prefix" you need provide common prefix of VMs names which are involved. For Example, if there are 5 client VMs with names "test1", "test2", "test3", "test4" and "test5" then you need to provide "test" in Prefix.

2. AD users will be created after you start a run and its not required to entitle desktop pool manually because viewplanner will do it automatically during run. Just make sure Identity Server is getting "Tested Successfully" and if it is failing then try again after setting up SSL certificate in Active Directory. Use this link(https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2980.ldap-over-ssl-ldaps-certificate.aspx) for instructions to set up SSL in Active Directory in case required.