VMware Communities
needtothinkofan
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion and Citrix performance terrible (as in not even able to reboot VM)

Fusion Version 11.1.0 (13668589)

MBP2018 15 inch (discrete Gfx)

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

VM: is Win10 64bit Pro

6 cores, 6GB

Using remote desktop via Citrix, to a company Win10 machine

If Settings -> Accelerate 3D graphics is selected in VMWare Fusion then the remote desktop session in VMWare Fusion is UNUSABLE

It beachballs so hard that I cannot even send reboot or shutdown, I have to go back to Activity Monitor and kill vmware process

If Settings -> Accelerate 3D graphics is disabled then the remote desktop can be used, but still uses ENORMOUS amounts of CPU resources.

Any plans to fix this? I need the 3D Graphics acceleration for other (non-RDP) applications, so right now VMware Fusion is useless for me.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

At first glance, I would say you are overcommitting your host resources.  Decrease the cores given to the VM - you need to have some reserved for your host, so your host OS can do other things it needs to do besides run your VM!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In case you have not notice this post:

VM became extremely slow after upgraded to macOS 10.14.6

make sure to read it

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

FYI, the summary of that mega thread is here: https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=67185

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
needtothinkofan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - as my VM is not encrypted, and I had already done most of the other items (no HDD buffering, etc), I was wondering if that was a different issue due to the dependency (for me) of 3D Acceleration status.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Still the same issue I'm afraid. It's just that the people who have their VM encrypted are hit harder.

The only recourse at this moment that makes the real difference is lowering your VM's RAM to 2GB.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
needtothinkofan
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that 11.1.1 does not fix the issue for me (Enabling VMWare 3D Accelerated graphics causes Citrix Receiver Win 10 VM to break) 😕

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yeah I was afraid for that.

Their patch so far appears to be for people who have encrypted their VM, the developer who fixed it specifically mentioned that (see here)

There's another issue where using more then 2GB of RAM causes slow downs, that one isn't fixed.

Not sure if there's also an issue with 3D accelerated graphics, but I can imagine that it will also be an issue if you have assigned more than 2GB to your virtual graphics card.

There might even be more to it as just that.

So VMware certainly has more work to do for making VMware Fusion work well with 10.14.6 (and 10.15)

Of course it would be nicer if apple patches the code it broke, but somehow I doubt apple will come with a fix and if it does then it might take a while.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
kaz219
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wanted to mention, this issue is the same for me. "Accelerated 3D graphics" is simply not compatible with Citrix Workspace. I had it disabled a while back and the upgrade to Fusion 12 seems to have reenabled Accelerated 3D Graphics automatically for my Windows 10 VM and I lost again 2 hours fixing my unusabel Citrix Workspace and trying to remember what was the fix last time. Really annoying...

Fusion 12.0.0

macOS 10.15.7

Windows 10 Pro 19041

0 Kudos