VMware Cloud Community
jbednarz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One PSC for two vCenter Servers

Hello,

I have a question about PSC and vCenter, are possible or best practices saying toyb to have one PSC and two vCenter Server - one for VDI infrastructure and second vCenter for data center infrastructure?

7 Replies
pavelkovar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

the best practice starting from vCenter 6.7 is to have Embedded PSC with each vCenter Server Appliance. In 6.7 there is supported to have also external PSC but in next vCenter release this deployment will be deprecated and Embedded PSC will stay the only one supported.

You can link up to 15 vCenter Server Appliances with Embedded PSC into Enhanced Linked Mode (ELM) if you want.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

this can be useful to you

vCenter Server and Platform Services Controller Deployment Types

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
jbednarz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

pavelkovarAlessandroRomeo68

If I have an external PSC and two vCenter, can I use one vCenter for the VDI environment and the other vCenter for the environment where I have servers like mail servers? Is it not a problem that there will be one PSC for two different environments?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It is a problem in that if your one PSC goes down, both of your vCenters are now useless. Do you really want to create such a single point of failure, especially when you're dealing with VDI? Because I think that's a very bad idea.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes, its possible and will work. We have such this kind of setup and yes one of these vCenters runs a VDI Horizon environment.

But we have setup it some time ago. For today VMware says that VCSA+Embedded PSC are the way to go.

Regards,

Joerg

Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

One of the first announcements that caught my attention was the fact that VMware is phasing out external Platform Services Controller (PSC) deployments. And as such, 6.7 U2 is the last version where you'll be able to choose and deploy an external PSC when you deploy vCenter Server. However, you'll see a warning message that will inform you there will be no support for this architecture in the next major release of VMware vSphere.

You can use an embedded PSC and still benefit from Enhanced Linked Mode (ELM), which lets you link up to 15 vCenter Server instances in the embedded PSC topology.

vCenter Server 6.7 U2 architecture improvements – 4sysops

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

I have similar situation in one of my projects and we use one PSC for two VC

just remember, because of dependencies between VC and PSC services, you should keep your PSC very High available. (VCHA, FT, Site Replication or any availability solution you can, provide it for PSC)

If there is a little for your PSC, both vCenter will be interrupted.

As others said, VMware highly recommended use Embedded PSC after release of vSphere 6.7, because all of the abilities that External model has, now embedded have them too

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem