VMware Cloud Community
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resource pools are not shown on esx host

Author : mimartin

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/5.5/com.vmware.vsphere.resmgmt.doc/GUID-0F6C6709-A5DA-4D3...

Topic Name : Create a Resource Pool in the vSphere Web Client

Publication Name : vSphere Resource Management

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/5.5

Question :

(1)A esx host is managed by a vcenter and there are 4 resource pools on the host. If we connect directly to the host, we can not find the resource pools. but we can find them only through vcenter. Is this the normal case? (2) If we want to create a vm in one of the resource pools above by using vsphere api, the vm is created under the root resource pool instead of the specified resource pool. Why is it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mimartin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2004467

By design, resource pools are now owned by vCenter in vSphere 5.0, whereas in the previous versions of ESXi/ESX hosts, the resource pools were owned by the ESX/ESXi host(s). This is because with stateless ESXi hosts there is no way to persist resource pool ownership.

Is the host managed by DRS? One DRS feature is that you can create cluster level resource pools. Such a resource pool is not restricted to a host but is expanded over multiple hosts. Since DRS is a cluster feature, DRS resource pools should be managed through vCenter.

Performance Best Practices for VMware vSphere 7.0

0 Kudos
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resource pools are a function of DRS and thus need vCenter

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi mimartin,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, this host is managed by DRS.

You know I am using vSphere SDK to develop a feature as shown above. Our QA have a doubt that they can see resource pools on the esxi server but could not create a vm in the specified resource pool. They think now that the resource pool is there, so it should be supported to create a vm in it. Hence, they opened a bug for me to resolve.

I want to find some official documents to prove that it is not a bug. I want to make them believe that it is truth.

Could you help me please?

Thank you again!

0 Kudos