VMware Cloud Community
Jamison618
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correlating Objects - Cluster/REST Host

I'm fairly new to vRO so forgive me if this is a dumb dumb question.

I need to correlate REST hosts in vRO to clusters.  The workflow will run from a cluster object in vCenter.  The input will be a cluster and I have REST Hosts in vRO that should correlate to the selected cluster input.  For instance, if the input is clusterA, then the REST host for the workflow is restHostA.  I'd rather not ask the user to input the REST host to avoid human error.  In my case the REST hosts are Nutanix PRISM Elements, but I could use this for UCS or other things. 

Is there some way I could upload a CSV that ties objects together or that vRO can reference to populate the REST host variable in my workflow based on the cluster selected?

I searched the forum and can't find anything like this (probably searching the wrong terms).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can use ConfigurationElements for exactly this purpose - example is below

pastedImage_0.png

Each attribute is named after the cluster name and the value reference points to the RESTHost to use for the operation....

I use this a lot and it's very effective. You can load a configuration element dynamically in a script like this

pastedImage_1.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can use ConfigurationElements for exactly this purpose - example is below

pastedImage_0.png

Each attribute is named after the cluster name and the value reference points to the RESTHost to use for the operation....

I use this a lot and it's very effective. You can load a configuration element dynamically in a script like this

pastedImage_1.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Configuration elements as demonstrated are great for this sort of thing.  Another alternative is using vRO tagging.  You can tag any object in the inventory.  I've not made use of this but the feature does exist.

Paul

Jamison618
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the thorough response and example code.  Much appreciated!!

0 Kudos