I needed to expand my Lubuntu boot disk as there was 0% free and it was not allowing logins. To do this I did the following:
- increased the disk allocation in vSphere
- rebooted the VM to a GParted ISO
- extended the linux-swap partition to use the new unallocated space
- moved the linux-swap partition to the right
- decreased the linux-swap partition size back to its original 2GB
- extended the primary partition size to use the unallocated space
- rebooted the VM.
The partition operations appeared to go OK, but how when I try to boot the VM I get past the splash screen and then the OS hangs - just displaying a dark grey screen.
The partitions now look as follows:
/dev/sda1 - 58GB
/dev.sda2 extended 2GB
/dev/sda5 linux-swap 2GB
Any idea how I can get the VM to boot again? I'm running ESXi 6.5 and Lubuntu 17.10
Sounds like a Linux partition issue and not anything to do with ESXi/vSphere. Better bet may be a Linux-focused forum.