VMware Cloud Community
TimSedlik
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore recovery

Hello,

I have a Proliant DL380 G10 with VMware ESXi 6.7 installed on on SSD drive. For storage I have 12 NVMe drives. I am trying to figure out the best way to do Software RAID. I've created datastore1 with 1 disk attached to it and datastore 2 with another disk attached to it. I setup RAID 0 in Win Server 2019 (C: is datastore 1 and 😧 is datastore2)and wanted to test failure of the disk. I replaced the drive from datastore 1 with a new one and am not able to turn the VM on since all the vmware config files were on it.

Any Ideas on how I could do this?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Using Raid 0 in Windows is not a good idea. If one of the vmdks fails the data is lost.

So you would rather use Raid 1.
But then you get the new problem that a VM will not boot if one of the configured vmdks is not present.

There is a workaround for this: if you configure your VMDKs to be USB-disks the VM will still boot when one of the two is missing.
But I doubt that you would really want to use vmdks configured as USB in production - just for performance reasons.

The problem with the one missing vmx-file is quite trivial.

You could use a script that checks if vmx-file 1 is present: if it is launch it.

If it is not present, check presence of vmx-file 2 on the other datastore. If it is - launch it - if not throw an error message.

The idea is nice - but honestly I never heard that any self respecting admin goes that way.

0 Kudos